rickemmanuel

Monday, June 05, 2006

dining out San Diego-style 2

Saturday night and the place is jumping! That night we went to Blue Ginger. For the longest time, we could not find the restaurant. In hindsight, I wish we hadn't found it. We were excited at eating there as we thought that this was somehow affiliated with Ming Tsai's restaurant in Boston. It's not. When we got there, the hostess told us we had to wait at the bar and it will be a 15 minute wait. Strange as there were empty tables inside. We found out later the kitchen was catching their breath since it was quite hectic early on. The bar had a loungy feel with matching Asian lounge music - a pseudo-Buddha Bar at a much smaller scale.

And now the restaurant experience. I ordered a bottle of Zin in the red wine section of the list. As is customary in other restaurants, the waiter normally presents the bottle before opening. This did not happen. I saw the waiter open the bottle at their station. When he came over and was about to pour I said, "NO!". Horrors of horrors, it was white zin. I had to choose a different wine and then he almost opened it again without presenting it. It was a good thing he caught himself. For appetizers, we ordered barbecued pork and some combination appetizer. That was the driest, toughest barbecued pork I've ever had. I don't recall anything special about the other appetizer, it was just okay. We were laughing (what else can we do) at how bad both the service and food were. And then we get to our main course: Kung Pao chicken and shrimp and crispy duck with veggies. Presentation was zero. It looked like the kitchen finished cooking our meal and plopped it on a plate. The duck was undescribably gross. There was nothing crispy nor tender about it. It was covered with gloppy sauce that was overly thickened with cornstarch. The Kung Pao dish, though not outstanding, was at least edible. The white rice that came with our meal was okay. I would not go back even if someone paid me. Emmanuel and I usually like to re-hash our meals whether at home or out, but this time we wanted to completely forget the bad, over-priced Chinese food.

2 Comments:

Blogger Felicia said...

Sounds like I'll stay away from this place! Sorry, but I was laughing a little about your horrible experience. My husband always watches waiters like a hawk when it comes to the wine service and he typically has some criticisms, so if we went to Blue Ginger he would probably kill the waiter. Okay, did you not learn anything from my photo blog - eat Mexican food in San Diego! Many of the Chinese food placesin San Diego are extremely disappointing and overpriced, especially compared to the Bay Area.

10:19 PM, June 07, 2006  
Blogger rickemmanuel said...

You're right, I should have listened and stayed with Mexican food. I'm glad you enjoyed my experience.

10:11 PM, June 14, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
online college search